El Paso is a vibrant city located in western Texas, right on the border with Mexico. Known for its rich history, stunning desert landscapes, and authentic cuisine, El Paso is a popular destination for tourists and business travelers alike. If you’re planning a trip to El Paso, you may be wondering whether or not you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in El Paso and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In El Paso?
No, you don’t need to rent a car in El Paso. If you’re planning on staying in the downtown area and only visiting the major tourist attractions, you may not need a car. El Paso has a public transportation system that includes buses and streetcars, and many of the city’s top attractions are located within walking distance of each other.
However, if you plan on exploring areas outside of downtown or want more flexibility in your schedule, renting a car can be a great option. This is especially true if you want to visit some of the more remote areas of El Paso, such as Hueco Tanks State Park or the Franklin Mountains State Park.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in El Paso depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility you want during your trip.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In El Paso
There are several benefits to renting a car in El Paso. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility in your schedule. You won’t be tied to public transportation schedules or have to worry about finding a ride to more remote areas of the city.
Renting a car also allows you to explore areas outside of El Paso, such as the stunning Guadalupe Mountains National Park or the historic mission trail that runs from El Paso to the city of Juarez in Mexico. Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Bottom line: Renting a car in El Paso provides flexibility, allows you to explore outside the city, and can be more comfortable for groups and those with a lot of luggage.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In El Paso
While there are benefits to renting a car in El Paso, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. El Paso has some of the highest car rental rates in Texas, and you may also have to pay for parking at your hotel or other attractions.
El Paso is also known for its heavy traffic congestion, especially during rush hour. If you’re not used to driving in heavy traffic, it can be stressful and time-consuming. Additionally, parking can be a challenge in the city, especially in the downtown area.
Bottom line: Renting a car in El Paso can be expensive, and heavy traffic and limited parking can make driving in the city stressful and challenging.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At El Paso Airport?
No. While renting a car at the airport can be convenient, as you can pick up your car right after you land and start exploring right away, airport rental car rates can be higher than rates at off-airport locations.
Renting a car in the city can be cheaper, but you’ll need to find transportation to your rental car location. This can be time-consuming and may not be worth the savings if you’re only renting a car for a short period of time.
Bottom line: Renting a car at El Paso airport can be convenient but may be more expensive, while renting in the city can be cheaper but requires additional transportation to get to the rental car location.
Tips For Renting A Car In El Paso
If you decide to rent a car in El Paso, there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure a smooth experience:
- Book in advance: By booking your rental car in advance, you can often secure better rates and ensure that the car you want is available.
- Check for discounts: Many rental car companies offer discounts for things like AAA memberships or military service. Be sure to check for any available discounts before booking.
- Consider insurance options: Rental car companies often offer additional insurance coverage, but this can be expensive. Check with your personal car insurance provider or credit card company to see if they offer rental car coverage.
- Familiarize yourself with the rental agreement: Be sure to read and understand the rental agreement before signing. This will help you avoid any unexpected charges or fees.
Bottom line: Booking in advance, checking for discounts, considering insurance options, and familiarizing yourself with the rental agreement are all important tips to keep in mind when renting a car in El Paso.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car in El Paso
If you’ve decided to rent a car in El Paso, you may be wondering how to find the cheapest option. Here are a few tips to help you save money on your rental:
- Compare rental car rates: Be sure to compare rates from multiple rental car companies to find the best deal. Use online search engines or travel websites to compare rates and check for any special deals or promotions.
- Book in advance: Rental car rates tend to be cheaper when booked in advance. Make your reservation at least a few weeks before your trip to secure a good rate.
- Choose an off-airport location: Renting a car at the airport can be convenient, but rates are often higher due to airport fees. Consider renting a car from an off-airport location to save money.
- Look for discounts: Many rental car companies offer discounts for AAA members, AARP members, military personnel, and other groups. Be sure to check for any applicable discounts before booking your rental.
- Avoid additional fees: Rental car companies may charge additional fees for things like additional drivers, GPS navigation, or car seats. If possible, bring your own GPS or car seat to avoid these fees.
Bottom Line: To find the cheapest rental car option in El Paso, compare rates from multiple companies, book in advance, and consider renting from an off-airport location. Look for discounts and avoid additional fees to save even more money.
Rent A Car In El Paso
Here are rental car companies to rent a car from in El Paso:
- Alamo: starts at $45 per day
- Avis: starts at $51 per day
- Budget: starts at $43 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $47 per day
- Hertz: starts at $56 per day
- National: starts at $58 per day
- Thrifty: starts at $30 per day
Gas prices will also vary depending on where you fill up, but you can expect to spend around $45 for a full tank. This is based on an average of $3.00 per gallon, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas.
Bottom line: Renting a car in El Paso is affordable, with rental rates starting at just $30 per day. By comparing rental rates and gas prices, you can find the best deal to fit your budget and explore all that El Paso has to offer.
Tips For Driving In El Paso
Driving in El Paso can be a bit daunting for those who are unfamiliar with the city. Here are some tips to help make your driving experience a little smoother:
- Know the speed limits: Speed limits can vary depending on the area you are in, so be sure to pay attention to posted signs.
- Be aware of the weather: El Paso can have extreme weather conditions, such as dust storms or heavy rain, that can affect driving conditions. Check the forecast before hitting the road.
- Use caution on the highways: The highways in El Paso can be busy and have high-speed limits. Stay alert, use your turn signals, and give other drivers plenty of space.
- Be prepared for toll roads: Some highways in El Paso have tolls, so be sure to have cash or a toll pass on hand.
- Don’t drink and drive: It is illegal to drink and drive in Texas, and El Paso is no exception. If you plan on drinking, arrange for a designated driver or use a ride-sharing service.
By following these tips, you can stay safe and avoid any potential issues while driving in El Paso.
Bottom line: Stay aware of speed limits and weather conditions, use caution on highways, be prepared for tolls, and never drink and drive to stay safe while driving in El Paso.
Whether or not you should rent a car in El Paso depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility you want during your trip. Renting a car can provide more freedom to explore outside the city and can be more comfortable for groups or those with a lot of luggage. However, it can also be expensive, and heavy traffic and limited parking can make driving in the city stressful and challenging. By keeping these pros and cons in mind and following the tips for renting a car in El Paso, you can make an informed decision and have a great trip.