When planning a trip to Juneau, one of the first questions on your mind may be, “Should I rent a car?” The answer to this can vary depending on several factors, which we will discuss in this comprehensive guide.
We’ve gathered some of the best tips and advice from our extensive library at SimpleRentCar, and we’ll delve into details like where to go, what to ask, how to save money, and more.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent a Car in Juneau?
Yes, you should rent a car in Juneau.
- Scenic Drives: Renting a car allows you to explore the stunning landscapes of Juneau at your own pace. Drive along the picturesque coastline, through lush forests, and enjoy breathtaking views of mountains and glaciers.
- Flexibility: Having a car gives you the freedom to create your own itinerary. You can visit attractions and landmarks on your own schedule, without being dependent on public transportation or tours.
- Remote Exploration: Juneau offers plenty of off-the-beaten-path destinations that are best accessed with a car. From hidden waterfalls to secluded beaches, having a vehicle allows you to discover these hidden gems.
- Convenience: Car rentals in Juneau are readily available, making it easy to find a vehicle that suits your needs and budget. You can choose from a variety of options, whether you prefer a compact car or an SUV for a more adventurous journey.
- Glacier Access: Many glaciers are located outside the city center, and renting a car enables you to access these magnificent icy wonders easily. Experience the awe-inspiring Mendenhall Glacier and other nearby glaciers without relying on costly transportation services.
It’s essential to be aware of weather conditions and drive carefully, especially if you are not familiar with the region’s terrain and climate. Enjoy your trip to Juneau!
“Renting a car is not a decision to take lightly. There are several factors to consider before deciding.”
Things to Notice
Here are a few things you might want to keep in mind before renting a car in Juneau:
- The Purpose of Your Visit: Are you on a business trip or a vacation? Are you planning to explore the city or stick to a particular area? Understanding your travel plans will help you make better decisions.
- The Cost: How to save money on car rentals is a critical consideration. The cost of renting a car can vary depending on the time of year, the type of car, and the rental company.
- The Type of Car: Juneau’s weather can be unpredictable. Depending on the time of your visit, you might need a specific type of car. Check out our guide on the 10 best cars to rent for more information.
- Travel Restrictions: You might wonder, can you rent a car to drive to Alaska? If you plan on exploring beyond Juneau, it’s essential to understand any potential travel restrictions.
Once you’ve pondered these considerations, it’s time to dive into the process of renting a car. Here’s what you need to know.
The Car Rental Process
The process begins with knowing what to ask when renting a car. Key questions include asking about mileage limits, fuel policies, and late return fees. You should also clarify the process for how to return your rental car at the airport, or learning how to drop off a rental car after hours, especially if you have an early or late flight.
If your flight arrives after the rental office’s operating hours, don’t worry! Many car rental companies offer rental car after-hours pickup services, so you can get your car regardless of your arrival time.
Don’t forget to inquire about their out-of-state travel policies if you’re considering a road trip beyond Juneau. Each rental company has different rules about how to rent a car to travel out of state, so make sure to get all the details before hitting the road.
Planning on bringing your furry friend along for the ride? Be sure to check out our pet-friendly car rental guide for tips on traveling with pets.
Keep in mind, renting a car comes with responsibilities. For instance, if you’re wondering who’s responsible for a rental car flat tire, the answer is typically the renter. Make sure you understand all the terms and conditions before you sign the rental agreement.
Exploring Juneau and Beyond
Now that you’ve got a grip on the car rental process, let’s delve into the adventures that await you in and around Juneau. After all, the beauty of having a rental car is the freedom it provides to explore at your own pace.
Juneau is surrounded by nature. The city sits at the base of Mount Juneau and is next to the massive Juneau Icefield, a network of glaciers that stretches for miles.
To the east, you’ll find the Gastineau Channel, and to the west, the vast wilderness. Here are some destinations you won’t want to miss:
01- Mendenhall Glacier:
A trip to Juneau would be incomplete without a visit to this iconic glacier. It’s only a short drive from downtown Juneau, and once you’re there, you can explore the visitors’ center, walk the trails, or even kayak on the lake.
02- Mount Roberts Tramway:
If you’re looking for stunning views over Juneau, this is the place to go. You can either hike up the mountain (if you’re feeling adventurous) or take the tramway. At the top, you’ll find a restaurant, shops, and a raptor center.
03- Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure:
This unique botanical garden set in the rainforest is a great spot for families or anyone interested in flora and fauna.
04- Drive out to Skagway:
If you fancy a longer road trip, consider driving to Skagway. This historic town is about a 6-hour drive from Juneau and offers a look into Alaska’s gold rush history.
Remember, as mentioned in our guide about renting a car to travel out of state, ensure your rental agreement allows such long journeys.
“Exploring at your own pace is one of the greatest benefits of renting a car.”
If you value convenience, flexibility, and the freedom to explore, then renting a car may be the right choice for you. Be sure to read up on our money-saving tips for car rentals, and don’t forget to consider the type of car you need based on our guide to the 10 best cars to rent.
However, if you’re planning a short trip or prefer to stick to the downtown area and guided tours, you might find it more convenient and cost-effective to rely on taxis, public transportation, or shuttle services.
After all, Juneau is a destination brimming with natural beauty, adventure, and the unexpected. Happy travels!