Maryland is a beautiful state with a lot of historic and cultural attractions, from the Chesapeake Bay to Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. If you’re planning a trip to Maryland, you might be wondering whether you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Maryland, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car in Maryland?
Yes, you should rent a car in Maryland if you plan to explore the state extensively, especially if you are traveling with your family or friends. Renting a car will give you the flexibility to visit various destinations and attractions throughout the state, and you won’t have to worry about schedules or waiting for public transport.
However, if you’re planning to stay in one city or take short trips to nearby attractions, renting a car may not be necessary.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in Maryland depends on your itinerary and the extent of your travel within the state.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Maryland
Renting a car in Maryland offers numerous benefits, including:
- Flexibility: With a rental car, you can go wherever you want and explore the state at your own pace. You can easily visit remote destinations and take detours on the way without worrying about public transport schedules.
- Convenience: Renting a car is often more convenient than using public transportation, especially if you are traveling with family or friends or have lots of luggage. You will have more space, and you won’t have to carry your bags or wait for buses or trains.
- Comfort: Renting a car can be more comfortable than public transportation, especially if you have back problems or don’t enjoy standing on crowded trains or buses.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Maryland provides flexibility, convenience, and comfort.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Maryland
While renting a car in Maryland has its advantages, there are also some drawbacks, such as:
- Cost: Renting a car can be expensive, especially during peak season or holidays. You’ll have to pay for rental fees, gas, parking, tolls, and other charges.
- Traffic: Major cities in Maryland like Baltimore and Annapolis have heavy traffic, and navigating through the city streets can be stressful, especially for first-time visitors.
- Parking: Finding parking in crowded cities like Baltimore can be challenging and expensive, and some hotels charge a daily fee for parking.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Maryland can be costly, and navigating through traffic and parking can be challenging in major cities.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Maryland Airport?
Yes, it’s better to rent a car at the airport. Maryland has several major airports, including Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD). Most major car rental companies have offices at these airports, and you can easily book your car in advance or on arrival.
Renting a car at the airport is often more convenient than renting from a downtown location, as you won’t have to worry about transportation from the airport to the rental office. You’ll also have more options for car types and rental companies, and you may get better deals and discounts.
Bottom line: Renting a car at the airport is more convenient and offers more options than renting from a downtown location.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car In Maryland
If you’re looking for the cheapest way to rent a car in Maryland, there are a few tips to follow:
- Book in advance: Booking your rental car in advance can save you money, as prices tend to increase as the rental date gets closer. You can use websites like Kayak, Expedia, or Rentalcars.com to compare prices and find the best deal.
- Compare prices: Don’t settle for the first offer you see. Compare prices from different rental car companies and check for promotions or discounts. Some companies also offer loyalty programs or discounts for members of organizations like AAA.
- Avoid renting at the airport: Renting a car at the airport can be more convenient, but it’s also more expensive. Consider renting from a downtown location or using public transportation to get to your rental car.
Bottom line: To find the cheapest rental car in Maryland, book in advance, compare prices, and avoid renting at the airport if possible.
Tips For Renting A Car In Maryland
Here are some tips to help you make the most of your rental car experience in Maryland:
- Check for restrictions: Some car rental companies have restrictions on where you can take the car or how far you can drive. Make sure to check these restrictions before renting to avoid additional charges.
- Check your insurance coverage: Before renting a car, check with your insurance company to see if your policy covers rental cars. If not, consider purchasing additional coverage from the rental car company.
- Fill up the tank: Most rental car companies require you to return the car with a full tank of gas. Make sure to fill up before returning the car to avoid additional charges.
- Follow traffic rules: Maryland has strict traffic rules, and violating them can result in fines or even license suspension. Make sure to follow all traffic rules and regulations to avoid getting in trouble.
Bottom line: To have a smooth rental car experience in Maryland, check for restrictions, insurance coverage, fill up the tank, and follow traffic rules.
Rent A Car In Maryland
Here are rental car companies to rent a car from in Maryland:
- Alamo: starts at $63 per day
- Avis: starts at $63 per day
- Budget: starts at $53 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $63 per day
- Hertz: starts at $63 per day
- Thrifty: starts at $39 per day
- Dollar: starts at $43 per day
Gas prices will also vary depending on where you fill up, but you can expect to spend around $60 for a full tank. This is based on an average of $4.06 per gallon, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas.
Rental Car Tips For Maryland
If you’re planning to rent a car in Maryland, here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
- Check the weather: Maryland’s weather can vary depending on the season, so make sure to check the forecast and pack appropriate clothing and gear.
- Be mindful of tolls: Some highways in Maryland have tolls, so make sure to check if your route includes any toll roads and have cash or a toll pass ready.
- Consider gas prices: Gas prices in Maryland can be higher or lower than in other parts of the country, so it’s a good idea to check the current rates and factor this into your budget when renting a car.
- Inspect the car: Before driving off the rental lot, inspect the car for any existing damage and make sure to report it to the rental company to avoid being charged for it later.
Bottom line: To have a smooth rental car experience in Maryland, be mindful of the weather, tolls, gas prices, and inspect the car before driving off.
Renting a car in Maryland can provide flexibility, convenience, and comfort, but it can also be costly and challenging to navigate through traffic and find parking in major cities. Whether or not you should rent a car depends on your itinerary and the extent of your travel within the state. If you do decide to rent a car, book in advance, compare prices, and consider renting at the airport for more convenience and options. Follow these tips, and you’ll have a great rental car experience in Maryland.