Fresno is a city located in California, known for its beautiful national parks, museums, and festivals. If you’re planning a trip to Fresno, you might be wondering if you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Fresno, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Fresno?
Yes, you should rent a car in Fresno. If you want to explore the city and its surroundings at your own pace, renting a car is the best option. This is especially true if you plan on visiting some of the more remote areas, such as the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Sequoia National Park, or Kings Canyon National Park, which can be difficult to access without a car. Additionally, Fresno is a sprawling city with a limited public transportation system, so renting a car will provide you with more flexibility and convenience during your trip. If you’re arriving at the Fresno Yosemite International Airport, renting a car is also the easiest way to get around the city.
However, if you plan on staying in the downtown area and only visiting the major tourist attractions, you may not need a car. The Fresno Area Express (FAX) is the local bus service that operates throughout the city and is an affordable way to get around.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in Fresno depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility and convenience you want during your trip.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Fresno
There are several benefits to renting a car in Fresno. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility in your schedule. You won’t be tied to public transportation schedules or have to worry about finding a ride to more remote areas of the city.
Renting a car also allows you to explore areas outside of Fresno, such as the Yosemite National Park or the beautiful vineyards of Napa Valley. Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Fresno provides flexibility, allows you to explore outside the city, and can be more comfortable for groups and those with a lot of luggage.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Fresno
While there are benefits to renting a car in Fresno, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. Fresno is a popular tourist destination, and rental car prices can be high, especially during peak travel season.
Another disadvantage of renting a car in Fresno is the traffic. The city has some of the highest traffic congestion in the country, and rush hour can be particularly hectic. If you’re not used to driving in heavy traffic, it can be stressful and time-consuming.
Parking can also be a challenge in the city, especially in the downtown area, where parking spaces can be limited and expensive. If you plan on renting a car, make sure to budget for parking fees at your hotel or other attractions.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Fresno can be expensive, and traffic and parking can be challenging. Make sure to factor these costs into your budget and plan accordingly.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Fresno Airport?
If you’re flying into Fresno, renting a car at the airport is the easiest and most convenient option. Several car rental companies, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz, have kiosks at the airport.
Renting a car at the airport allows you to avoid the hassle of finding transportation to your hotel or other destinations in the city. Additionally, renting a car at the airport usually offers better rates than renting from a downtown location.
Bottomline: Renting a car at the Fresno Yosemite International Airport is the most convenient option and usually offers better rates than renting from a downtown location.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car In Fresno
If you’re planning to rent a car in Fresno, here are some tips to help you find the best deal:
- Compare prices: Before booking a rental car, compare rates from different rental companies. Websites like Expedia, Kayak, and Rentalcars.com allow you to compare prices from multiple companies at once.
- Book in advance: Booking your rental car in advance can often save you money, as rates can be higher if you wait until the last minute. Consider renting from a non-airport location: Renting a car at the airport can come with additional fees, so consider renting from a non-airport location to save money.
- Look for discount codes: Check online for discount codes that can save you a percentage off the rental price.
- Avoid add-ons: Rental companies may try to upsell you on additional features like GPS or insurance. Consider whether you really need these extras before agreeing to them.
Bottom line: To find the cheapest way to rent a car in Fresno, compare prices, book in advance, consider non-airport locations, look for discount codes, and avoid add-ons that you don’t really need.
Rent A Car In Fresno
If you’re looking to rent a car in Fresno, here are some rental car companies to consider: Alamo: starts at $52 per day
- Avis: starts at $54 per day
- Budget: starts at $50 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $49 per day
- Hertz: starts at $54 per day
- National: starts at $59 per day
- Thrifty: starts at $46 per day
Gas prices in Fresno are typically lower than the national average, with an average price of $3.99 per gallon. You can expect to spend around $45 for a full tank of gas, based on a standard car that holds 12 gallons of gas.
To get the best deal on a rental car in Fresno, be sure to compare prices from different rental companies, book in advance, use discount codes if available, and avoid renting from the airport if possible.
Bottom line: consider whether you really need any add-ons like GPS or insurance before agreeing to them. With these tips, you can find the cheapest way to rent a car in Fresno and enjoy your trip without breaking the bank.
Tips For Driving In Fresno
If you’re planning on driving in Fresno, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for bicyclists: Fresno is a popular city for bicyclists, so be aware of bike lanes and watch out for cyclists on the road.
- Prepare for hot weather: Fresno can get extremely hot in the summer months, so make sure your rental car has a functioning air conditioning system.
- Use your GPS: Fresno can be a bit confusing to navigate, especially for first-time visitors. Use your GPS or map app to help you get around.
- Beware of one-way streets: There are several one-way streets in Fresno, so make sure to pay attention to signs and street markings.
- Be mindful of parking: Parking can be difficult in certain areas of Fresno, particularly in downtown. Make sure to follow parking regulations and watch for signs to avoid any issues.
Bottom line: If you’re driving in Fresno, be aware of bicyclists, prepare for hot weather, use your GPS, watch for one-way streets, and be mindful of parking regulations to avoid any complications.
Renting a car in Fresno can be a great way to explore the city and the surrounding areas. To ensure a smooth and cost-effective experience, it’s important to keep in mind the tips and considerations outlined in this article. By comparing prices, booking in advance, avoiding add-ons, being mindful of traffic and parking regulations, and following these additional tips, you can have a successful rental car experience in Fresno. Whether you’re visiting for business or pleasure, renting a car can give you the flexibility and freedom to make the most of your time in Fresno.