Planning a trip to Greece? You may find yourself asking: Should I rent a car in Greece? If so, you’ve landed on the right page. We’re about to embark on a detailed journey to answer this question, utilizing the wealth of knowledge we’ve accumulated here at Simple Rent Car.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent a Car in Greece?
Yes, you should consider renting a car in Greece. From exploring ancient ruins to driving through sun-drenched landscapes, renting a car can provide you with an unrivaled level of freedom and flexibility.
Key Advantages of Renting a Car in Greece
- Exploring at your own pace: Greece is full of hidden gems and stunning sites off the beaten path. Having a car provides the freedom to explore these less-known spots at your leisure, without being tied to the schedule of public transport or tour groups.
- Convenience: If your accommodation is located in more remote or rural areas, a rental car could be the most convenient means of transport. This is particularly relevant if you plan to visit numerous destinations throughout your trip.
- Ideal for families and groups: If you’re traveling as a family or group, renting a car can often be more economical and practical than buying multiple tickets for public transportation. Plus, it allows for a more enjoyable, shared journey.
- Exploring islands: While Greece is known for its islands, public transport on many of these can be infrequent or non-existent. A car rental allows you to explore these beautiful locations more comprehensively.
Things to Consider
While renting a car in Greece has numerous advantages, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- Driving in a foreign country: As with any foreign country, Greece has its own traffic rules and driving culture. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these before hitting the road. If you’re not used to driving on the right side of the road, practice in a safe, quiet area before heading into traffic.
- Parking: Particularly in the larger cities like Athens and Thessaloniki, finding parking can be a challenge. It’s worth considering accommodation with parking included.
- Insurance: You might wonder “Can I rent a car without insurance?”. While it might be possible, it’s not recommended. Always ensure you’re adequately covered before you start driving.
- International Driving Permit (IDP): Most car rental companies in Greece require an IDP for non-European Union residents. Our guide on “What countries accept an international driving permit?” provides in-depth understanding of this requirement.
Renting a car is not always necessary, but when in Greece, it can be a game-changer. The unique layout of the country, with its numerous islands, ancient historical sites, and picturesque landscapes, may make a car rental an attractive option. But before you rush to make a decision, it’s crucial to ask the right questions, and in this article, we’ll address some of these significant considerations.
“Renting a car is not just about having a vehicle; it’s about the freedom and flexibility it gives you during your trip.”
Before renting a car, consider visiting our page on “What to ask when renting a car”. It provides a comprehensive checklist of essential questions you should be asking before renting any vehicle.
Insurance: A Crucial Factor
One of the first aspects to think about is insurance. You might be wondering, “Can I rent a car without insurance?” While it’s technically possible, it’s highly advised to have some level of insurance when renting a car, especially when abroad. Navigating the narrow, winding roads of Greek islands or the busy streets of Athens can come with its own set of challenges.
If you’re worried about the cost, there are ways “How to save money on car rentals”. One of the best tips we can give is to book your car in advance. Not only will this give you the opportunity to secure the best deals, but it will also ensure you have a wide selection of cars to choose from.
International Driving Permit (IDP)
If you’re a foreign driver planning to drive in Greece, you should familiarize yourself with the rules regarding international driving permits. Our guide on “What countries accept international driving permit?” provides in-depth information about the requirements. As per Greek law, if you are not an EU citizen, you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your regular driver’s license.
In case you’re wondering, “How long does an International Driver’s Permit last?”, the answer is typically one year from the date of issue. However, it’s essential to check the specific terms of your IDP as conditions may vary depending on your country of origin.
Choosing the Right Car
One aspect that often leaves renters perplexed is the choice of car. You might be interested in checking our list of “The 10 best cars to rent”. Remember that when it comes to choosing a car, the ‘best’ car depends on your specific needs and the nature of your trip.
If your Greek adventure includes traveling through narrow village roads or off-beat trails, a compact car or a 4×4 might be a better choice. On the other hand, if you’re planning on cruising on the highways or have a lot of luggage, a larger car or an SUV may be more suitable.
After Hours Pickup and Return
It’s essential to plan your pickup and return times according to your flight schedules and travel plans. You might find yourself asking, “How do I return my rental car at the airport?” or curious about “Rental car after-hours pickup”. Not to worry, these are common queries and we’ve addressed them in detail in our articles.
Understanding the Purpose of International Car Insurance
Lastly, as a foreigner renting a car in Greece, it’s crucial to understand “What is the purpose of International Car Insurance?”. As we’ve mentioned before, renting a car comes with its risks. Having adequate insurance cover can help mitigate these risks and give you peace of mind.
On a similar note, if you’re in an accident and need to rent a car, you might wonder, “How do you rent a car through insurance?”. We’ve got you covered on that front as well.
Renting a car in Greece can provide an enriching and convenient travel experience, if you’re well-prepared and informed. For a smooth process, be sure to understand the insurance requirements, the importance of an International Driving Permit, how to pick the right rental car, and the logistics of pickup and return. Last but not least, ensure you’re covered with International Car Insurance. With these considerations in mind, enjoy the freedom of exploring Greece at your own pace!