When you need to rent a car, Hertz is always there. But what do you need in order to rent a car from Hertz? This article will tell you everything that you need in order to make the process as smooth as possible.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
What Do You Need To Rent A Car From Hertz
If you’re looking to rent a car from Hertz, there are a few things you’ll need to have in order:
- A Valid US Driver’s License or International Driver’s License
- A Valid Credit or Debit Card for Deposit
- A Clean Driving Record
1. A Valid US Driver’s License or International Driver’s License
A valid driver’s license is required at the time of picking up a rental car. Hertz does not accept digital driver’s licenses for rental.
By law, all renters from outside the U.S. and Canada must present a driver’s license, passport, a document that uses the same Roman alphabet for writing as their country does using Western letters and vowels, or proof of a return trip to their home country.
The Other Four Forms of ID
You must provide the following forms of ID when you rent with a debit card:
- To rent a car, you must provide proof of ownership of a round-trip airline ticket, an electronic ticket, or travel itinerary. This is to prevent people from changing the date on their return flight and stealing the car with no intention of bringing it back.
- A valid U.S. passport or current U.S. military identification card
- Vehicle insurance card
- If you have a bill for your phone, house, or utilities within the last 60 days, please submit it as well.
Hertz will accept traffic citations and summonses in place of a driver’s license, but only in certain states such as Indiana, Illinois, Georgia, Missouri, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. In this case, your traffic citations or summonses are acceptable, but you must have a second form of identification. A credit card is the best form of identification, though.
Standard international car renters need a driver’s license, passport, and International Driving Permit from their home country. A few exceptions are listed below.
- For EU (European) Residents, you can use your national driver’s license with an International Driving Permit.
- Better to be safe and pack an International Driving Permit before going on your trip abroad.
- You will be required to show an International Driving Permit instead of a driver’s license if your license is not written in the Roman alphabet.
2. A Valid Credit or Debit Card for Deposit
Hertz will place a hold on your debit card to pay for the rental. This usually limits the available funds in that account as well.
$100 minimum hold is required for the following services:
- Auto repair replacement or Insurance rentals
- Pre-paid rentals
- Tour car rentals
With a Canadian rental hold, you will pay $500 CAD for the first day and $75 CAD for each additional day. The cost can range up to a maximum of 10 days at which point the sum is capped.
Hertz accepts major credit cards, including American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, JBC/Japan Card, Optima, Hertz International, and Hertz Charge Card. Some locations will accept a debit card but they may run a credit check or require a third form of ID.
You cannot use a prepaid credit or debit card for a deposit, but you can use it for final payment.
Debit Card Rules
Renters under 25 years of age cannot use debit cards to rent a car. Some rental locations will accept a debit card to deposit funds instead of the traditional credit card. These locations may also accept a debit card for payment when you return the car.
Credit checks will be performed before issuing a rental to ensure credit worthiness.
If you need to extend your rental and want to keep the car, then you’ll need to contact a reservation agent before your scheduled return date.
If you rent the car for a long period of time, there will be an additional $10 service fee. Plus, if you keep the car for over a couple of days, an extra $10 may be charged. However, all charges will be released once the car is returned and the actual cost of your rental will be assessed.
If you want to extend your rental, your original price may no longer be available and post-dating your check by two weeks will prevent it from being sent back.
To rent a car from Hertz, you must be 21 years old or over, have a license, and have enough financial credit.
When renting a car, an authorization hold will be placed for the estimated charges plus any additional charges. Funds cannot be used until the car is returned. If the rental is not returned on time or you commit a misdeed, you will be charged extra.
American Express, MasterCard, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, Visa as well as China Union Pay and Hertz Charge Card are not accepted when paying with a digital wallet.
You can use a debit card at the start of a rental that is backed by VISA, MasterCard, and Discover to qualify for the rental.
Car Class for Students and Renters Under 25
In order to rent at Hertz airport locations, you’ll need to provide proof of a return flight and bring two forms of identification.
To rent a car with a debit card, be at least 25, have a Corporate Discount Plan number in the reservation or on your ticket, and two forms of ID.
To be eligible for this program, you will need to meet all the eligibility requirements. However, there are exceptions to this policy:
If you use the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards on a debit card, you will be eligible for any car type. However, if it’s not a debit card and the rental has an Insurance Replacement, then you’re eligible.
Debit cards are not accepted to qualify for a rental on premium vehicles and above. Tesla, Dream Cars and Adrenaline Cars do not accept debit cards in these cases.
You will need a major credit card when renting with PayNow. Debit cards are not an option.
What is the process of renting with Hertz when using a debit card?
You can pay with a debit card or preferred method of payment at the end of the rental.
Generally, you will have to have a good credit score to rent with a debit card. If your credit score is not high enough, you will also have to pay in cash.
For United States issued or foreign-issued driver’s licenses, you will need to also present one of the following forms:
– You must carry an ID card and another card with the same name as on your license to identify yourself.
– You need a Government issued ID, the same name as your driver’s license and debit card.
– In addition to a driver’s license, monthly utility bills may be accepted to verify the identity of the customer.
Hertz offers a Cash Deposit ID card for those who want to rent using cash deposits. To apply for the ID Card, you need to be at least 21 years old and not be renting in Michigan or New York. The ID process will take about 15 business days and there’s a one-time processing fee of $15.
Certain card issuer companies produce Air Travel Cards. In order for these to be valid, certain companies need to validate it. Hertz won’t accept certain cards, so it’s important that you have access to your major credit card.
MCOs do not qualify you to rent. You must still meet standard qualifications, like being a certain age or having a driver’s license. Whoever is using an MCO needs to present a valid driver’s license and an acceptable deposit. These deposits are calculated by adding the estimated rental charges plus 50% and then dividing that number by half with an additional minimum of $200.
Hertz Car Rentals does not accept MCO’s reservations from Aerolineas Argentinas, Alitalia Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Swiss Air, Alaska Airlines, Japan Airlines, American, Delta, United, Air Canada, and Southwest.
3. A Clean Driving Record
Hertz locations corporate-run by Hertz will contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to verify your driving history and current driver’s license before renting a car.
Hertz reserves the right to deny a rental for anyone with an infraction on their driving record. These can include but are not limited to, drunk or reckless driving, auto theft, revoked or suspended license and multiple accidents within the last 36 months.
Other documentation you might need to provide
Here are some forms of identification you may need to provide in order to obtain a car rental:
- Valid passport or travel visa
- Military identification
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- ATM card with customer name printed on the face of card
- Health care identification card with the customer’s name printed on face of card
- Company/college/university identification with a photograph
- In some cases, you may be required to present an alternate credit card.
Car rental regulations vary by location – make sure you verify all of the information in your reservation confirmation and ask if there are any restrictions on the area you will be driving in.
Adding Additional Drivers
It is legal for a driver to be an additional driver for a rental car if they meet any of the following criteria:
- The renter must be an employee of the company renting the car or they cannot rent the car under their business account.
- They are the renter’s spouse or domestic partner.
- If a renter has a disability and registers with DriveSafe.ly, they can have a caregiver driver with them to help out.
For these types of additional drivers – no fee applies and no need to fill in extra paperwork.
You can add people to your insurance coverage if you are unsure whether they are authorized drivers or not.
How to Add Other Authorized Drivers To Your Rental
When you pick up the rental vehicle, make sure your additional driver is present. They need to show their valid license proving they’re at least 25 years old.
In addition to the driver requirements, you will need a clean driving record. And with this reservation, up to two additional drivers may be added.
Learn more about the fees associated with adding drivers
There is an LD $13 charge for each additional driver per day. The maximum amount charged for each additional driver is $65 during the rental.
In California, there are no additional driver fees for a parent, sibling or child of the renter. The fee for an additional driver in New York is $3 per day
Additional drivers in Nevada will have a fee of $11-$13.75 per day, depending on the driver’s age and access to a vehicle.
Can I Pay for Someone Else to Rent a Car?
No, you cannot pay for someone else to rent a car. They need to have their own credit card, so they can pick up the car on their own. Online booking forms need to have the primary renter’s name for a credit card or debit card in order to complete the transaction.
Hertz Car Rental Locations
Hertz is one of the world’s leading car rental companies, with over 7,000 locations in 145 countries. Hertz offers a wide variety of rental cars to suit your needs, from economy to full-size luxury vehicles.
Hertz has rental car locations all over the world. Whether you’re looking for a compact car for a city break or a SUV for a family holiday, Hertz has a wide range of vehicles to choose from. To find the nearest Hertz location, simply enter your location into the search bar on their website.
How to Rent a Car from Hertz
If you’re looking to rent a car from Hertz, there are a few things you’ll need to do first. Here’s a quick guide on what you need to do to get behind the wheel of a Hertz rental car.
1. Find a Hertz location – You can use Hertz’s handy location finder tool to find a rental location near you.
2. Choose your car – Once you’ve found a location, you can browse Hertz’s selection of rental cars to find the perfect one for your needs.
3. Make a reservation – When you’ve found the perfect car, you can make a reservation online or over the phone. Be sure to have your driver’s license and credit card ready when you make your reservation.
4. Pick up your car – When it’s time to pick up your rental car, just head to the Hertz location and present your driver’s license and credit card. You’ll sign some paperwork and then you’ll be on your way!
Hertz Car Rental Fees
The cost of renting a car from Hertz depends on a number of factors, including the type of vehicle you choose, the length of your rental, and any optional extras you add on. Here’s a breakdown of Hertz’s car rental fees:
– Daily rental rate: This is the base fee for renting a car from Hertz. The daily rate varies depending on the type of vehicle you select.
– Length of rental: The longer you rent a car from Hertz, the more you’ll save. That’s because Hertz offers discounts for weekly and monthly rentals.
– Optional extras: If you add any optional extras to your rental, such as GPS navigation or child seats, you’ll be charged an additional fee.
Hertz Car Rental Insurance
When you rent a car from Hertz, you may be asked if you want to purchase car rental insurance. This insurance is designed to protect you in the event of damage to the rental car, or if you are involved in an accident. While your own personal auto insurance may cover some of these eventualities, it is always a good idea to have the extra protection that car rental insurance provides.
If you’re looking to rent a car from Hertz, there are a few things you need to know about their debit card policy. For one, you’ll need a major credit card or debit card in order to hold the reservation. Additionally, the card must be in the name of the driver and presented at the time of pick-up.
There are a few restrictions when using a debit card, however. One is that Hertz may place a hold on your account for the estimated amount of the rental, plus an additional 20%. This means that if you’re renting a car for $100 per day, Hertz may hold $120 per day on your account.
Another restriction is that you may be required to show proof of insurance. Some debit cards offer rental car insurance, but it’s always best to check with your card issuer before assuming this coverage.
Finally, remember that when using a debit card, you’ll likely have to pay a higher deposit than if you were using a credit card. The deposit is used to cover any damages that may occur during the rental period. Be sure to have enough money available in your account to cover the deposit, as Hertz will not release the car until it is paid in full.
Now that you know what you need to rent a car from Hertz, you can start planning your next road trip!