If you’re a pet owner, you know the joy and fun pets bring into our lives. But when it’s time for a road trip or a vacation, it can be challenging to decide what to do with your furry friends. The good news is that several car rental companies are pet-friendly and make it easy to bring your pets along. Let’s delve into the world of pet-friendly car rentals, covering everything from the types of vehicles to rent, how to return your rental car, and even ways to save on your car rental.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Pet Friendly Car Rental
Pet-friendly car rentals are rental companies that allow their customers to travel with their pets in rental vehicles.
Here are some key points regarding pet-friendly car rentals and their requirements for pets:
- Pet-Friendly Policy: Certain car rental companies offer pet-friendly options, allowing customers to bring their pets along for the ride. It’s important to check with the specific rental company beforehand to confirm their policy on traveling with pets.
- Pet Deposit or Fee: Some car rental companies may require a pet deposit or charge an additional fee for bringing pets in their vehicles. This fee is typically non-refundable and helps cover potential cleaning or damage caused by the pet.
- Size and Weight Restrictions: Rental companies might have restrictions based on the size and weight of pets allowed in their vehicles. Larger pets may need to be secured in a crate or carrier during the journey. It’s important to inquire about any specific limitations on pet size and weight.
- Proper Restraint: To ensure safety, pets should be properly restrained within the vehicle. This can be achieved using a pet seat belt, carrier, or other appropriate restraints that prevent the pet from roaming freely and potentially causing distractions for the driver.
- Cleanliness and Damage: Renters are generally responsible for returning the rental car in a clean and undamaged condition. Pet owners must take extra care to prevent any damage caused by their pets, including excessive shedding, scratches, or odors. Cleaning fees may apply if the vehicle requires additional cleaning due to pet-related messes.
- Allergies and Future Renters: Car rental companies may consider the needs of future renters, some of whom might have pet allergies. It is important to keep this in mind and ensure that the vehicle is properly cleaned and free from pet hair or allergens before returning it.
- Restrictions on Destination: Certain rental companies may have restrictions on taking pets to specific destinations. It’s advisable to check if there are any limitations regarding traveling with pets to certain regions or countries.
- Additional Terms and Conditions: Each car rental company may have its own set of terms and conditions regarding pets in rental cars. It is crucial to review and understand these terms before making a reservation to ensure compliance and avoid any unexpected issues.
Remember to check with the specific car rental company you plan to use, as their policies and requirements may vary. Providing accurate information about your pet’s size and breed, and following all the guidelines, will help ensure a smooth and enjoyable rental experience with your furry friend.
Choosing the Right Car Type
Deciding on the car type primarily depends on the size of your pet and the comfort it requires. Standard cars are a common choice among travelers. But what exactly is a standard car? Typically, a standard car is a comfortable mid-size vehicle that can fit up to five passengers and has enough space for luggage. It’s ideal for small to medium-sized pets. Remember, a standard car can be either manual or automatic, and the choice will largely depend on your personal preference and driving skills.
If you have a larger pet or multiple pets, you may want to consider a full-size rental car. Full-size cars provide more space for your pets and luggage, making your journey more comfortable.
On the other hand, if you are traveling solo or with a small pet, a mid-size rental car may be more appropriate. They are easier to navigate, especially in busy cities, and will likely save you on fuel costs.
Tip: Ensure to check with the rental company about their pet policy before booking, as some may require pets to be transported in carriers or might charge extra cleaning fees.
Comparing Rental Companies
Once you’ve decided on the type of car, the next step is to choose the rental company. Here at Simple Rent Car, we’ve done some of the work for you by comparing major car rental companies. Let’s have a look at some of them.
In the Budget vs. Avis comparison, we found that both companies offer a variety of pet-friendly vehicles. However, Budget often comes out on top due to its competitive pricing.
Meanwhile, Avis vs. Hertz showed us that both companies have a wide range of vehicles suitable for pets, but Avis tends to offer more luxury options.
When we looked at Hertz vs. Enterprise, we discovered that while Hertz has a wider international presence, Enterprise often has more flexible pet policies.
When choosing a car rental company, consider their policies, pricing, vehicle availability, and reviews from other customers. Ensure to ask about their specific pet policies to avoid unexpected surprises upon pickup.
Returning Your Rental Car
Once you have enjoyed your trip, you’ll need to return the rental car. Understanding the return process is crucial to avoid late return fees. You may wonder how to return your rental car at the airport? It’s quite simple – most rental companies have specific return areas at the airport where you park the car, remove your belongings (and pet), and hand over the keys.
If your trip extends beyond the rental company’s operating hours, you need to know how to drop off a rental car after hours. Usually, rental companies have secure drop boxes where you can leave the keys.
In some cases, you might need to pick up or return your car when the rental office is closed. Is a rental car after-hours pickup possible? Absolutely. Several rental companies offer this service. You just need to inform the company in advance and follow their instructions.
Note: Be sure to clean up any pet hair or mess before returning your rental car to avoid any additional cleaning charges.
Saving on Your Car Rental
Renting a car can sometimes be expensive, but there are ways to save on your car rental. Check out our guide on how to save money on car rentals for some excellent tips, like booking in advance, comparing prices, and leveraging membership discounts.
Traveling With Your Pets: Tips and Tricks
Now that we have an understanding of pet-friendly car rentals, it’s time to delve into how to prepare your pet for the journey and share some tips for keeping them calm and comfortable during the trip.
Preparing Your Pet for the Journey
- Acclimate Your Pet to Car Travel: Start by taking your pet on short drives and gradually increase the time they spend in the car. This helps them get used to the motion and environment.
- Visit the Vet: Ensure your pet is up-to-date with their vaccinations and is healthy enough for travel. Also, it’s a good idea to ask your vet for any specific travel advice concerning your pet.
- Pack Essentials: Bring enough food, water, a leash, a waste scoop, plastic bags, grooming supplies, medication, and a pet first-aid kit. Don’t forget their favorite toy or blanket, as this can provide comfort during the journey.
- Use a Pet Carrier or Harness: For safety, it’s best to keep your pet restrained. A carrier or harness will not only keep them safe but also prevent them from distracting you while driving.
Remember: Never leave your pet alone in a car, especially in hot weather. The temperature inside a car can rapidly increase and lead to heatstroke.
Tips to Keep Pets Calm During the Journey
- Maintain Routine: Stick to your pet’s regular feeding and exercise routine as much as possible. This helps reduce their stress levels.
- Take Regular Breaks: Stop every 2-3 hours to let your pet stretch, exercise, and eliminate. This is also a good time for you to rest and recharge.
- Stay Calm and Positive: Pets can pick up on our emotions. If you’re stressed, it’s likely your pet will be too. So, maintain a calm and positive demeanor to help your pet stay relaxed.
- Use Calming Aids: Some pets may need a little extra help to stay calm. Consider natural calming aids such as pheromone sprays, calming treats, or anxiety wraps.
Traveling with your pet can be a fun and rewarding experience if you’re adequately prepared. From choosing the right pet-friendly standard, full-size, or mid-size rental car to knowing how to return your rental car at the airport or after-hours, and more importantly, understanding how to keep your pets calm during the journey — all contribute to an enjoyable travel experience.
Having covered the ins and outs of pet-friendly car rentals, we hope you feel more prepared and confident in planning your next trip with your furry friend. Remember, every rental company has its specific policies, so it’s always a good idea to call ahead and confirm their pet rules.
In the end, it’s all about making beautiful memories with your pet while ensuring their comfort and safety.
So, buckle up and start your adventure! Don’t forget to check back at Simple Rent Car for more tips and advice on all things related to car rentals.
Safe travels, and wag on!