If you’re planning on renting a car in Oregon, you’ll need to be aware of the age restrictions in place. You might think that you must be at least 25 years old to rent a car, but there are some exceptions. Read on to learn more about the age requirements for renting cars in Oregon.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Rent a Car in Oregon?
The minimum rental age in Oregon is 18 years old. However, most rental companies will require you to be at least 21 years old.
If you’re under the age of 25, you may be able to rent a car if you meet the following conditions:
- You have a valid driver’s license
- You have a major credit card in your name
- You have proof of insurance
- You pay a “younger driver” fee ($25 per day on average)
Also, If you’re 18 and looking to rent a car, most of the time you’ll need one of the following: a valid college ID, a passport, or an international driver’s license. If not, unfortunately, you will not be able to secure a rental car.
Renting A Car Under 25 In Oregon
If you’re under the age of 25 and want to rent a vehicle in Oregon, you may be charged a “young driver’s fee.” This charge is generally around $25 each day and serves to compensate for the increased danger posed by young drivers.
Here is a list of rental car companies in Oregon and their young driver’s fee policy:
- Alamo: $25 per day (ages 21 to 24)
- Enterprise: $25 per day (ages 18 to 24)
- Fox Rent A Car: $20 to $30 per day (ages 19 to 24)
- Hertz: $19 to $35 per day (ages 20 to 24)
- National: $20 to $30 per day (ages 21 to 24)
- Sixt: $15 to $35 per day (ages 21 to 24)
- Thrifty: $25 to $35 per day (ages 20 to 24)
- Dollar: $25 to $35 per day (ages 20 to 24)
As you can see, rental companies charge different rates for young drivers. Be sure to shop around and compare rates before booking a car.
What about if you’re over 25?
If you’re over the age of 25, you shouldn’t have any trouble renting a car in Oregon. Just be sure to have your driver’s license, credit card, and insurance information handy.
Can you rent a car at 18 in Oregon?
Yes, It is possible to rent a car at the age of 18 if you reside in one of the following requirements:
- If you are a military personnel or a government employee and have official government documents with which to present the rental location, you may rent a car at age 18.
- In some cases, corporate contracts allow renters age 18 and older.
- The state minimum car rental age is 18 years old in Michigan and New York, as decreed by the state government.
What is the maximum age to rent a car in Oregon?
There is no maximum age to rent a car in Oregon. As long as you have a valid driver’s license and meet the other requirements, you should be able to rent a car regardless of your age.
Can I use my debit card to rent a car in Oregon?
Yes, you can use your debit card to rent a car in Oregon. However, keep in mind that most rental companies will put a hold on your account for the estimated amount of the rental. This hold can take several days to be released back into your account. For this reason, it’s always best to use a credit card when renting a car.
Do I need insurance to rent a car in Oregon?
Yes, you are required to have insurance to rent a car in Oregon. You can either get insurance through the rental company or through your own auto insurance policy. If you’re using your own auto insurance, be sure to check with your agent to see if your policy extends to rentals.
Do I need a driver’s license to rent a car in Oregon?
Yes, you will need a valid driver’s license to rent a car in Oregon. An international driver’s license is also acceptable.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car in Oregon?
Yes, most rental companies will require you to have a major credit card in your name. This is for both the rental fee and the deposit. Some companies may accept a debit card, but they will likely put a hold on your account for the estimated amount of the rental.
Can new drivers rent a car in Oregon?
No, new drivers are not able to rent a car in Oregon. You must have at least 2 years of driving experience and a clean driving record to be eligible to rent a car.
Can I rent a car with cash?
No, you cannot rent a car with cash in Oregon. All rental companies require a major credit card for the rental fee and deposit. Some companies may accept a debit card, but they will likely put a hold on your account for the estimated amount of the rental.
Can I get a one-way rental in Oregon?
Yes, most rental companies offer one-way rentals. However, there may be a drop-off fee associated with this type of rental. Be sure to ask about this fee when you’re booking your rental car.
What is the definition of a one-way rental?
A one-way rental is when you pick up the car at one location and drop it off at another. Most rental companies offer this type of rental, but there may be a drop-off fee associated with it. Be sure to ask about this fee when you’re booking your rental car.
Do I need to return my rental car with a full tank of gas?
No, you do not need to return your rental car with a full tank of gas. However, most rental companies charge a higher rate per gallon if you do not return the car with a full tank. Be sure to ask about this policy when you’re booking your rental car.
Tips for driving in Oregon
Now that you know the ins and outs of renting a car in Oregon, here are a few tips to help you make the most of your trip:
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with the state’s traffic laws before hitting the road.
- If you’re planning on doing any hiking or camping, be sure to bring along a map of the state.
- Oregon is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Be sure to take advantage of it by pulling over and taking a few photos.
- When driving in rural areas, be aware of animals on the road.
- Be sure to pack snacks and drinks for your trip. There are often long stretches of highway with few stops.
- If you’re driving in the winter, be sure to pack a blanket and some extra clothes. The roads can get very icy and snow-covered.
- Keep an eye out for road construction. Oregon is constantly expanding and improving its highways.
Renting a car in Oregon is a great way to see everything this beautiful state has to offer. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with the state’s traffic laws and pack appropriately for your trip. With a little planning, you’re sure to have a great time. Thanks for reading!
Have any questions about renting a car in Oregon? Leave us a comment below!