Oklahoma City is a vibrant, diverse city that offers visitors plenty to see and do. If you’re planning a trip to this city, one of the questions you might be asking is, “Should I rent a car in Oklahoma City?” In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Oklahoma City, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Oklahoma City?
Yes, you should rent a car in Oklahoma City. While the city has public transportation, it can be limited, and renting a car will provide you with more freedom and flexibility to explore the city and its surroundings. Having a rental car also means you won’t have to rely on public transportation schedules, and you can easily drive to the different attractions and landmarks the city has to offer.
However, if you are staying in the downtown area and only plan on visiting the major tourist attractions, you may not need a car. Downtown Oklahoma City has a robust public transportation system, including buses and a trolley system, which can be more convenient for getting around in the city.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Oklahoma City is recommended for visitors who want to explore the city’s surroundings and have the freedom to travel at their own pace. If you are staying in downtown Oklahoma City and only plan on visiting the city’s main attractions, public transportation is a viable option.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Oklahoma City
Renting a car in Oklahoma City comes with many benefits. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility and convenience when exploring the city. You won’t have to worry about adhering to public transportation schedules, and you can easily travel to different parts of the city without any restrictions.
Having a rental car also allows you to visit some of the more remote attractions, such as the Chickasaw National Recreation Area or the Ouachita National Forest. With a car, you can also take day trips to nearby attractions like Tulsa, the Wichita Mountains, and the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve.
Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation. You’ll have plenty of space for your luggage, and you won’t have to worry about the hassle of transferring your bags from one form of transportation to another.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Oklahoma City provides visitors with flexibility, convenience, and the ability to explore remote areas and take day trips to nearby attractions.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Oklahoma City
While there are many benefits to renting a car in Oklahoma City, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. Oklahoma City has average car rental rates, but if you’re on a tight budget, it may be cheaper to rely on public transportation.
Another issue to consider is traffic congestion, especially during rush hour. If you’re not used to driving in heavy traffic, it can be stressful and time-consuming. Additionally, parking can be a challenge in some areas of the city, especially downtown.
Finally, Oklahoma City has a high sales tax, and this includes car rentals. Be sure to factor this in when planning your budget.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Oklahoma City can be expensive, and traffic congestion and parking can be challenging, especially in the downtown area.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Oklahoma City Airport?
No, keep in mind that airport car rental rates can be higher than renting from a location off-site. If you’re staying in downtown Oklahoma City and don’t plan on traveling outside of the city, it may be more cost-effective to take a taxi or use a ride-sharing service to get to your hotel and then rent a car from a location within the city.
However, If you plan on exploring the city and its surroundings, renting a car at the airport can be a convenient option, as there are many rental companies located at the airport.
Another factor to consider is that rental cars at the airport can be in high demand, especially during peak travel times. It’s important to book your rental car in advance to ensure availability and the best rates.
Bottom line: Renting a car at Oklahoma City Airport can be a convenient option if you plan on exploring the city and its surroundings, but be aware that rates can be higher and availability may be limited during peak travel times. If you’re staying in downtown Oklahoma City and don’t plan on traveling outside of the city, it may be more cost-effective to rent a car from a location within the city.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car in Oklahoma City
If you’re planning to rent a car in Oklahoma City and want to find the best deal, here are some tips:
- Compare prices: Before booking a rental car, compare prices from different rental companies. Use websites like Kayak or Expedia to compare rates from multiple companies at once.
- Book in advance: Like with Seattle, booking your rental car in advance can often save you money, as rates can be higher if you wait until the last minute.
- Consider non-airport locations: Renting a car at the airport can be more expensive due to additional fees. Consider renting from a location outside of the airport if possible.
- Look for discount codes: Check online for discount codes that you can use when booking your rental car. This can save you a percentage off the rental price.
- Avoid add-ons: Rental companies may try to upsell you on additional features like GPS or insurance. Consider whether you really need these extras before agreeing to them.
Bottom line: To find the cheapest way to rent a car in Oklahoma City, compare prices, book in advance, consider non-airport locations, look for discount codes, and avoid add-ons that you don’t really need.
Rent A Car In Oklahoma City
Here are some popular rental car companies to consider when renting a car in Oklahoma City:
- Alamo: starts at $51 per day
- Avis: starts at $48 per day
- Budget: starts at $49 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $50 per day
- Hertz: starts at $47 per day
- National: starts at $55 per day
Gas prices in Oklahoma City are generally lower than the national average. As of April 2023, the average price for a gallon of gas in Oklahoma City is around $3.19, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas would cost around $47.85 to fill up. However, keep in mind that gas prices can vary depending on the location and time of year.
Bottom Line: To get the best deal on a rental car in Oklahoma City, be sure to compare prices, book in advance, and avoid renting at the airport if possible. Additionally, look for any available discount codes and carefully consider any add-ons offered by the rental company before agreeing to them.
Tips For Driving In Oklahoma City
If you’re planning to drive in Oklahoma City, here are some tips to help make your journey smoother:
- Plan your route: Before setting off, plan your route and check for any traffic updates or road closures. This will help you avoid getting lost or stuck in traffic.
- Watch your speed: Oklahoma City has many speed cameras and police officers actively monitor for speeding. Make sure you stay within the speed limit to avoid getting a ticket.
- Be aware of weather conditions: Oklahoma City can experience extreme weather conditions, such as tornadoes and thunderstorms. Check the weather forecast before setting off and be prepared for any weather-related delays.
- Follow the rules of the road: As with any city, it’s important to follow the rules of the road. This includes using turn signals, wearing seatbelts, and obeying traffic signals and signs.
- Be cautious around construction zones: Oklahoma City is constantly expanding, and as a result, there are often construction zones on the roads. Be cautious when driving through these areas, as there may be uneven surfaces, lane closures, or detours.
Bottom line: when driving in Oklahoma City, it is important to follow the rules of the road, be aware of the local driving customs, plan your route in advance, and avoid rush hour traffic if possible. Additionally, renting a car can be a convenient way to get around, and by comparing prices, booking in advance, and avoiding unnecessary add-ons, you can find the cheapest rental car option.
In conclusion, renting a car can be a convenient and practical option for travelers in both Seattle and Oklahoma City. To find the cheapest way to rent a car, it’s important to compare prices, book in advance, avoid renting at the airport, use discount codes, and avoid add-ons that you don’t really need. By following these tips, you can save money and enjoy a stress-free rental experience. Additionally, it’s helpful to know the rental car companies available in each city and the average cost of gas to better plan your budget.