Milwaukee is a city that has a lot to offer, from the Harley-Davidson Museum to the Milwaukee Public Market. If you’re planning a trip to Milwaukee, you might be wondering whether or not you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Milwaukee, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Milwaukee?
Yes, you should rent a car in Milwaukee. If you plan on exploring areas outside of downtown or want more flexibility in your schedule, renting a car can be a great option. This is especially true if you want to visit some of the more remote areas of Milwaukee or take day trips to nearby attractions like Lake Michigan or the Milwaukee County Zoo.
However, if you’re planning on staying in the downtown area and only visiting the major tourist attractions, you may not need a car. Milwaukee has a good public transportation system, including buses and light rail.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in Milwaukee depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility you want during your trip.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Milwaukee
There are several benefits to renting a car in Milwaukee. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility in your schedule. You won’t be tied to public transportation schedules or have to worry about finding a ride to more remote areas of the city. Renting a car also allows you to explore areas outside of Milwaukee, such as the scenic Door County or the historic Cedarburg.
Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Milwaukee provides flexibility, allows you to explore outside the city, and can be more comfortable for groups and those with a lot of luggage.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Milwaukee
While there are benefits to renting a car in Milwaukee, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. Milwaukee has average car rental rates, but you may also have to pay for parking at your hotel or other attractions.
Milwaukee is also known for its road construction, especially during the summer months. If you’re not used to driving in areas with heavy construction, it can be stressful and time-consuming.
Additionally, parking can be a challenge in the city, especially in the downtown area.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Milwaukee can be expensive and may require dealing with road construction and parking challenges.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Milwaukee Airport?
Yes, It’s generally more convenient to rent a car at the airport, especially if you’re staying outside of downtown Milwaukee.
Many of the major car rental companies have a presence at Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport, including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. You can easily pick up your rental car at the airport and start your adventure right away.
Bottom line: Renting a car at Milwaukee Airport is generally more convenient, especially if you’re staying outside of downtown Milwaukee.
The Cheapest Way To Rent A Car In Milwaukee
If you’re looking to save money on your rental car in Milwaukee, there are a few ways to do it.
- First, make sure to compare prices between rental car companies to find the best deal. Many companies offer discounts for booking online or for renting for a longer period.
- Another way to save money is to rent from a location outside of the airport. Rental car rates are often higher at the airport due to additional fees and surcharges. Consider renting from a location in downtown Milwaukee or in the surrounding suburbs to save money.
- Lastly, check if your credit card or insurance policy offers rental car coverage. If so, you may be able to decline the rental car company’s insurance, which can save you a significant amount of money.
Bottom line: Comparing prices, renting from a location outside of the airport, and checking for rental car coverage through your credit card or insurance policy can help you save money on your rental car in Milwaukee.
Rent A Car In Milwaukee
Here are rental car companies to rent a car from in Milwaukee:
- Alamo: starts at $48 per day
- Avis: starts at $49 per day
- Budget: starts at $42 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $49 per day
- Hertz: starts at $49 per day
- Thrifty: starts at $34 per day
- Dollar: starts at $38 per day
Gas prices will also vary depending on where you fill up, but you can expect to spend around $55 for a full tank. This is based on an average of $3.66 per gallon, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas.
Bottom line: Renting a car in either Seattle or Milwaukee can range from $34 to $63 per day depending on the company you choose. Gas prices will also vary, but you can expect to spend around $55 to fill up a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas.
Tips For Driving In Milwaukee
If you’re planning to rent a car and drive in Milwaukee, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for pedestrians: While not as densely populated as Seattle, Milwaukee is still a city with many pedestrians. Be aware of crosswalks and be cautious when driving in residential areas.
- Mind the weather: Milwaukee experiences all four seasons, so be prepared for varying driving conditions throughout the year. Winter driving can be particularly challenging, with snow and ice on the roads.
- Use your GPS: Milwaukee can have confusing intersections and highway interchanges, so use your GPS or map app to navigate around the city.
- Plan for traffic: While not as congested as Seattle, Milwaukee can still have heavy traffic during rush hour or events. Plan your route and schedule accordingly to avoid being late for your destination.
- Be mindful of parking: Milwaukee has street parking and many parking garages but be sure to read signs and follow regulations to avoid getting ticketed or towed.
Bottom line: Driving in Milwaukee requires caution for pedestrians, preparation for various weather conditions, use of GPS, planning for traffic, and being mindful of parking regulations to avoid any issues.
Rental Car Tips For Milwaukee
If you’re planning to rent a car in Milwaukee, here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
- Be mindful of tolls: Some highways in Milwaukee have tolls, so make sure to check if your route includes any toll roads and have cash or a toll pass ready.
- Consider parking options: Parking can be limited and expensive in certain areas of Milwaukee, so consider your parking options and plan ahead to avoid any issues.
- Inspect the car: Before driving off the rental lot, inspect the car for any existing damage and make sure to report it to the rental company to avoid being charged for it later.
Bottom line: To have a smooth rental car experience in Milwaukee, be mindful of the weather, tolls, parking options, and inspect the car before driving off.
Renting a car in Milwaukee can be a convenient way to explore the city and surrounding areas. With a range of rental car companies offering competitive rates, it’s easy to find a vehicle that suits your needs and budget. However, it’s important to be mindful of the weather, tolls, parking options, and car inspection before driving off. By following these tips and being a cautious driver, you can have a smooth and enjoyable rental car experience in Milwaukee.