Michigan is a state known for its beautiful nature, stunning coastline, and charming small towns. If you’re planning a trip to Michigan, you might be wondering if you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Michigan, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Michigan?
Yes, you should rent a car in Michigan. Michigan is a large state with a lot to offer, and renting a car can be a great way to explore it. Whether you’re planning on visiting the famous Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, taking a road trip through the Upper Peninsula, or exploring the vibrant city of Detroit, a car can give you the flexibility and freedom to make the most of your trip.
However, if you’re planning on staying in one city and only visiting nearby attractions, you may not need a car. Michigan has some good public transportation systems, including buses and trains, and ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft are widely available in most cities.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in Michigan depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility you want during your trip.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Michigan
There are several benefits to renting a car in Michigan. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility in your schedule. You won’t be tied to public transportation schedules or have to worry about finding a ride to more remote areas of the state.
Renting a car also allows you to explore Michigan’s natural beauty, from the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan to the rolling hills of the Irish Hills. Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Another benefit of renting a car in Michigan is that you can take a scenic drive through the state’s stunning countryside. Michigan is home to several scenic byways, including the Tunnel of Trees on M-119 and the River Road National Scenic Byway.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Michigan provides flexibility, allows you to explore outside the cities, and can be more comfortable for groups and those with a lot of luggage.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Michigan
While there are benefits to renting a car in Michigan, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. Michigan has some of the highest car rental rates in the country, and you may also have to pay for parking at your hotel or other attractions.
Michigan is also known for its harsh winter weather, which can make driving more challenging. If you’re visiting Michigan in the winter, you may need to rent a car with four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive to navigate the snowy roads.
Additionally, Michigan’s major cities, like Detroit and Grand Rapids, can have heavy traffic during rush hour. If you’re not used to driving in heavy traffic, it can be stressful and time-consuming. Parking can also be a challenge in some of the busier areas of the cities.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Michigan can be expensive, driving can be challenging in winter weather, and traffic and parking can be a hassle in the major cities.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Michigan Airport?
If you’re flying into Michigan, renting a car at the airport can be a convenient option. Most major airports in Michigan, including Detroit Metropolitan Airport and Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids, have several car rental companies located on-site.
Renting a car at the airport can save you time and hassle, as you won’t have to arrange for transportation to your hotel. However, renting a car at the airport can also be more expensive than renting from a location off-site. It’s a good idea to compare prices from several rental car companies to find the best deal.
Bottom line: Renting a car at the airport in Michigan can be convenient, but it may be more expensive than renting from an off-site location.
Tips For Renting A Car In Michigan
If you’ve decided to rent a car in Michigan, here are some tips to help you make the most of your rental:
- Book in advance: Booking your rental car in advance can help you secure a better rate and ensure that the car you want is available.
- Consider insurance options: Rental car insurance can be expensive, but it can also provide peace of mind. Check with your personal auto insurance provider to see if you’re already covered, and compare the cost of insurance from the rental car company to third-party insurance options.
- Check the vehicle thoroughly: Before leaving the rental lot, inspect the car for any damage and take photos or video to document the condition. This can prevent disputes over damage when you return the car.
- Follow traffic laws: Michigan has strict traffic laws, including laws related to seat belts, cell phone use, and driving under the influence. Be sure to follow all traffic laws to avoid tickets and fines.
Bottom line: Booking in advance, considering insurance options, checking the vehicle, and following traffic laws can help make your rental car experience in Michigan a positive one.
Rent A Car In Michigan
If you’re planning to rent a car in Michigan, there are several rental car companies to choose from, including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and Thrifty. Prices will vary depending on the type of car you rent, the duration of your rental, and other factors. As a general guide, expect to pay around $50-70 per day for a standard car rental in Michigan.
Gas prices in Michigan also vary depending on the location and time of year, but on average, you can expect to pay around $3.00-$3.50 per gallon. If you’re driving a standard car with a 15-gallon tank, you can expect to pay around $45-$52 for a full tank of gas.
It’s always a good idea to compare prices and read reviews from previous renters before making a reservation. Many rental car companies also offer discounts and promotions, so be sure to check for any current deals. Additionally, make sure you understand the rental car company’s policies regarding fuel, insurance, and other fees before you sign the rental agreement.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Michigan can be a great way to explore the state’s natural beauty and have more flexibility in your schedule. However, it can also be expensive, and winter weather can make driving challenging. Consider your itinerary and transportation needs before deciding whether or not to rent a car in Michigan.
Tips For Driving In Michigan
If you’ve decided to rent a car in Michigan, here are some tips to help you make the most of your driving experience:
- Be prepared for Michigan’s weather. Michigan can have harsh winter weather, so if you’re visiting during the winter months, make sure to rent a car with four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive to navigate the snowy roads.
- Stay alert for deer. Michigan has a large deer population, especially in rural areas, so it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and drive cautiously.
- Follow speed limits and traffic rules. Michigan has strict traffic laws, and speeding tickets and other traffic violations can be expensive.
- Use caution when driving in cities. Michigan’s larger cities, like Detroit and Grand Rapids, can have heavy traffic during rush hour, and parking can be difficult in some areas.
- Take advantage of Michigan’s scenic byways. Michigan is home to several scenic drives, including the Tunnel of Trees on M-119 and the River Road National Scenic Byway.
Bottom line: Be prepared for the weather, be aware of deer, follow traffic rules, use caution in cities, and enjoy Michigan’s scenic drives.
Renting a car in Michigan can provide flexibility and allow you to explore the state’s natural beauty and charming towns. However, it can also be expensive and driving in winter weather or heavy traffic can be challenging. Consider your itinerary and preferences before deciding whether or not to rent a car, and follow these tips to make the most of your rental experience.