Minneapolis is a vibrant city known for its arts, culture, and outdoor activities. It is home to a number of popular tourist destinations such as the Minneapolis Institute of Art, the Guthrie Theater, and the famous Chain of Lakes. If you’re planning a trip to Minneapolis, you might be wondering whether or not you should rent a car. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Minneapolis, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Minneapolis?
No, If you’re planning on spending most of your time in downtown Minneapolis and visiting major tourist attractions, you may not need a car. Minneapolis has a good public transportation system, including buses and light rail, that can take you to most major destinations.
However, if you want to explore the suburbs or visit some of the more remote areas of the city, renting a car can be a good option. Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, renting a car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Bottom line: Whether or not you should rent a car in Minneapolis depends on your itinerary and how much flexibility you want during your trip.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Minneapolis
There are several benefits to renting a car in Minneapolis. First and foremost, it provides more flexibility in your schedule. You won’t be tied to public transportation schedules or have to worry about finding a ride to more remote areas of the city.
Renting a car also allows you to explore areas outside of Minneapolis, such as the beautiful Minnehaha Park or the charming town of Stillwater. Additionally, if you’re traveling with a group or have a lot of luggage, a rental car can be more comfortable and convenient than public transportation.
Another benefit of renting a car in Minneapolis is that it can save you money. While car rentals can be expensive in some cities, Minneapolis has relatively low rental rates. Additionally, you can save money on parking by using one of the many public parking lots or street parking spaces throughout the city.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Minneapolis provides flexibility, allows you to explore outside the city, can be more comfortable for groups and those with a lot of luggage, and can even save you money.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Minneapolis
While there are benefits to renting a car in Minneapolis, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the traffic. Minneapolis can be a challenging city to navigate, especially during rush hour. If you’re not used to driving in heavy traffic, it can be stressful and time-consuming.
Another drawback of renting a car in Minneapolis is the cost of parking. If you’re staying in downtown Minneapolis, you may have to pay for parking at your hotel or other attractions. Additionally, parking can be a challenge in the city, especially during busy times.
Finally, another potential drawback of renting a car in Minneapolis is the weather. The city experiences cold, snowy winters that can make driving difficult and dangerous. If you’re planning a trip during the winter months, be sure to prepare for icy roads and low visibility.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Minneapolis can be challenging due to traffic, parking costs, and weather conditions during the winter months.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Minneapolis Airport?
Yes, while there are advantages and disadvantages to both options, renting a car at the airport can be more convenient if you’re flying into the city. The Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport has a number of car rental companies on-site, making it easy to pick up and drop off your rental car. Additionally, renting a car at the airport can save you time and money on transportation to and from the airport.
However, renting a car at the airport can also be more expensive than renting in downtown Minneapolis. Rental companies located at the airport may charge higher fees and taxes, so it’s important to compare prices before making a decision. Additionally, if you’re planning on spending most of your time in downtown Minneapolis, it may be more convenient to rent a car in the city center and avoid the hassle of driving in and out of the airport.
Bottom line: Renting a car at the Minneapolis airport can be convenient if you’re flying into the city, but it may also be more expensive than renting in downtown Minneapolis. It’s important to compare prices and consider your itinerary before making a decision.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car In Minneapolis
If you’re planning to rent a car in Minneapolis, you may be wondering how to get the best deal. Here are some tips for finding the cheapest way to rent a car in Minneapolis:
- Compare prices: Before booking a rental car, compare prices from different rental companies. Websites like Kayak and Expedia allow you to compare rates from multiple companies at once.
- Book in advance: Booking your rental car in advance can often save you money, as rates can be higher if you wait until the last minute.
- Try not renting at the airport: Renting a car at the airport can be more expensive due to additional fees. Consider renting from a location outside of the airport if possible.
- Use discount codes: Check for discount codes online, which can save you a percentage off the rental price.
- Consider smaller companies: While larger rental companies may be more well-known, smaller, local companies may offer better deals and more personalized service.
- Avoid add-ons: Rental companies may try to upsell you on additional features like GPS or insurance. Consider whether you really need these extras before agreeing to them.
Bottom line: To find the cheapest way to rent a car in Minneapolis, compare prices, book in advance, avoid renting at the airport, use discount codes, consider smaller companies, and avoid add-ons that you don’t really need.
Rent A Car In Minneapolis
If you’re looking to rent a car in Minneapolis, here are some rental car companies to consider:
- Alamo: starts at $52 per day
- Avis: starts at $50 per day
- Budget: starts at $44 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $55 per day
- Hertz: starts at $55 per day
- National: starts at $53 per day
Gas prices in Minneapolis can vary depending on where you fill up, but you can expect to spend around $45 for a full tank. This is based on an average of $3.00 per gallon, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Minneapolis can be a convenient way to explore the city and its surroundings. Prices vary depending on the rental company and time of year, so be sure to compare rates and book in advance to get the best deal. Additionally, be aware of potential additional fees such as insurance, gas, and tolls.
Tips For Driving In Minneapolis
If you’re planning to rent a car and drive in Minneapolis, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Watch for bicyclists and pedestrians: Minneapolis is known for its active biking culture, so be aware of cyclists and pedestrians, especially in downtown areas.
- Know the parking rules: Minneapolis has specific parking rules and regulations, so make sure to read signs carefully and avoid parking in restricted areas to avoid getting ticketed or towed.
- Be mindful of the weather: Minneapolis experiences harsh winters with heavy snow and icy conditions. Make sure your rental car is equipped with winter tires and consider avoiding driving during snowstorms if possible.
- Use your GPS: Minneapolis can be confusing to navigate, especially for first-time visitors, so use your GPS or map app to help you get around.
- Obey traffic laws: Like any city, Minneapolis has its share of traffic congestion and rush hour delays. Make sure to obey traffic laws and plan your route accordingly.
Bottom line: To have a safe and hassle-free driving experience in Minneapolis, watch for bicyclists and pedestrians, know the parking rules, be mindful of the weather, use your GPS, and obey traffic laws.
Whether you’re visiting Seattle or Minneapolis, renting a car can provide you with the freedom and flexibility to explore the city on your own terms. However, it’s important to do your research and plan ahead to ensure that you get the best deal possible and are prepared for the unique driving conditions of each city. By following the tips outlined in this article, such as comparing prices, booking in advance, avoiding add-ons, and being aware of local driving conditions, you can have a safe and enjoyable experience on the road.