Renting a car can be an exciting experience, but it can also be confusing, especially if you have a secured credit card. Secured credit cards are designed for people with bad credit or no credit, but they also have some limitations, such as not being accepted by some car rental companies. In this article, we will explain what a secured credit card is, how it works, and how you can rent a car with one. We will also provide you with some tips to help you make the most of your car rental experience.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Can You Rent a Car with a Secured Credit Card?
Yes, you can rent a car with a secured credit card, but it depends on the car rental company. Some car rental companies accept secured credit cards, while others do not. It is important to check with the rental company before you rent a car to make sure they accept your type of credit card. If they do accept secured credit cards, they may have additional requirements or restrictions.
Will Renting a Car with a Secured Credit Card Hurt My Credit?
No, renting a car with a secured credit card should not hurt your credit if you use your card responsibly. When you rent a car, the rental company may perform a credit check to determine if you are a responsible borrower. This credit check will result in a hard inquiry, which can temporarily lower your credit score. However, if you have a good payment history and use your secured credit card responsibly, your credit score should recover within a few months.
Car Rental Companies that accept Secured Credit Cards
Here are some car rental companies that accept secured credit cards:
Note: While some car rental companies accept secured credit cards, they may still perform a credit check and place a hold on your account. It’s always best to call ahead and verify the payment and credit check requirements with the specific rental location.
How Can You Rent a Car with a Secured Credit Card?
To rent a car with a secured credit card, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check with the rental company to see if they accept secured credit cards.
- Provide the rental company with your credit card information, driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
- Pay a deposit, which is usually equal to the cost of the rental.
- Read the rental agreement carefully and make sure you understand all the terms and conditions.
- Drive away and enjoy your rental car.
What Credit Score Should I Have to Rent a Car?
- The required credit score to rent a car depends on the rental company and their policy.
- Some car rental companies may require a minimum credit score, while others do not.
- A good or excellent credit score (above 700) is recommended to increase your chances of approval.
- If you have a lower credit score, you may be required to provide additional information or pay a higher deposit.
Car Rental Company Credit Check Policies
The credit check requirements for car rental companies can vary. Here’s a look at the published credit check policies of several major car rental companies:
- Alamo: No credit check is required
- Avis: Credit check is required for renters using a debit card
- Budget: Credit check is required for renters using a debit card
- Dollar: Credit check required for renters using a debit card
- Enterprise: No credit check is required
- Hertz: Credit check required for renters using a debit card
- National: No credit check is required
- Thrifty: Credit check is required for renters using a debit card
It is important to note that car rental companies may not publicly disclose their minimum credit score requirements. However, according to Experian, many companies are more focused on specific information in your credit report, such as a history of late payments or multiple delinquent accounts, rather than your credit score.
To ensure you are aware of the credit check requirements of your desired car rental company, it is recommended to call them ahead of time and verify their requirements before reserving your car. Requirements may also vary by location.
Is There a Better Way to Pay for a Rental Car?
Different car rental companies have varying payment policies, with credit cards (including secured credit cards) being the preferred method. Let’s take a closer look at other payment options:
- Debit Cards. Many car rental companies accept debit cards, but they may require a credit check and place a larger authorization hold on your account. You may also need to provide additional identification, such as a passport or utility bill and a return travel itinerary that matches your rental dates.
- Cash. Only a few car rental companies accept cash when you pick up your vehicles, such as Dollar, Hertz, and Thrifty. However, be prepared to go through extra steps and apply for a Cash Deposit Identification Card through the mail, pay a non-refundable $15 processing fee, and undergo a credit check. The process takes around 30 days. Most car rental companies allow you to reserve with a secured credit card and pay the final bill in cash upon return, but it’s best to call ahead to confirm.
- Prepaid Card. Most car rental companies do not allow customers to reserve a car using a prepaid gift card. However, they may allow you to reserve using a secured credit card and pay the final bill with a prepaid Visa, Mastercard, or Amex card.
- Money Order. Some rental agencies allow customers to rent a car with a money order, which is typically treated the same as a cash rental.
It is possible to rent a car using a secured credit card, but make sure your credit limit is adequate to cover the rental fee, security deposit, and any additional charges during your trip. On average, a car rental costs $89 per day according to Kayak, so if your secured card has a low limit, consider other payment options or credit-builder programs. It’s always a good idea to call your prospective rental location to confirm payment options.
Now when we know all the options for renting a car let’s take a closer look at secured credit cards and what do they mean.
What is a Secured Credit Card?
A secured credit card is a type of credit card that is backed by a deposit you make with the issuing bank. The deposit serves as collateral for the credit card, and it is held in a savings account. The deposit is also used to determine your credit limit, which is usually equal to the deposit amount. For example, if you make a deposit of $500, your credit limit will be $500.
How Does a Secured Credit Card Work?
A secured credit card works just like a regular credit card, but with some important differences. For example, you must make a deposit to get a secured credit card, and your credit limit will be determined by the deposit amount. Additionally, secured credit cards usually have higher interest rates and fees than regular credit cards.
However, the main advantage of a secured credit card is that it can help you build or rebuild your credit. By using your secured credit card responsibly, such as paying your bills on time and keeping your balance low, you can improve your credit score and eventually qualify for a regular credit card.
Renting a Car with a Secured Credit Card
Renting a car with a secured credit card can be challenging, but it is possible. Some car rental companies, such as Enterprise and Hertz, accept secured credit cards, while others, such as Avis and Budget, do not. Before you rent a car, it is important to check with the rental company to see if they accept secured credit cards.
If the rental company accepts secured credit cards, you will need to provide them with your credit card information, as well as a driver’s license and proof of insurance. You will also need to pay a deposit, which is usually equal to the cost of the rental. The deposit is used to cover any damages or fees incurred during the rental period.
Renting a car with a secured credit card can be a bit challenging, but it is possible. By following these tips and being prepared, you can make the most of your car rental experience. Just remember to research different car rental companies, compare rates and fees, and read the rental agreement carefully before you sign it. With a little preparation and effort, you can rent a car with a secured credit card and enjoy the freedom and convenience of having your own vehicle.