Cancun, located on the Yucatan Peninsula, is one of Mexico’s most popular destinations, famous for its crystal clear waters, pristine beaches, and vibrant nightlife. If you’re planning a trip to Cancun, you may be wondering if renting a car is the best way to explore the city and its surroundings. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of renting a car in Cancun, as well as some tips to help you make the most of your trip.
J.D. Power ranks Hertz as the best car rental company in North America, and for good reason. Their focus on customer satisfaction means you’ll have a great time renting from them – from start to finish.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car has locations all over the world, so they’re bound to have one close by. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars – from economy to luxury – so you can find the perfect ride for your trip.
Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. They offer low rates on all of our vehicles, so you can hit the open road without breaking the bank.
* With Expedia member prices, you could save 10% or more right now on thousands of cars.
Should I Rent A Car In Cancun?
Yes, you should rent a car in Cancun. Cancun is a large city, and many of the best attractions are spread out. Renting a car will give you the freedom to explore the city and its surroundings at your own pace, without having to rely on public transportation or expensive taxis. It also allows you to visit the nearby areas of Tulum, Cozumel, and Playa del Carmen, which are not easily accessible by public transportation.
However, if you plan on staying within the Cancun Hotel Zone, and only want to visit the main attractions, renting a car may not be necessary. There are many public transportation options available, including buses, taxis, and shuttles.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Cancun will give you the flexibility to explore the city and surrounding areas at your own pace, but it may not be necessary if you only plan to visit the main tourist attractions within the Cancun Hotel Zone.
The Benefits Of Renting A Car In Cancun
There are several benefits to renting a car in Cancun. The first and most obvious is the freedom and flexibility it provides. With a rental car, you can explore the city and surrounding areas at your own pace, without having to worry about public transportation schedules or taxi costs. You can also stop at any time to take pictures or enjoy the stunning scenery along the way.
Renting a car in Cancun also allows you to visit the nearby attractions of Tulum, Cozumel, and Playa del Carmen, which are not easily accessible by public transportation. These areas have a lot to offer, from ancient Mayan ruins to beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Cancun provides freedom and flexibility, allows you to visit nearby attractions, and enables you to stop and enjoy the stunning scenery along the way.
The Cons Of Renting A Car In Cancun
While there are many benefits to renting a car in Cancun, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the biggest disadvantages is the cost. Car rental rates in Cancun can be high, especially during peak travel season. You may also have to pay for additional insurance or face hefty fines for any damages to the car.
Driving in Cancun can also be challenging, especially for those not used to driving in Mexico. The roads can be narrow, and drivers can be aggressive. Additionally, parking can be a challenge, especially in the downtown area and popular tourist spots.
Bottom line: Renting a car in Cancun can be expensive, and driving can be challenging, especially for those not familiar with the area. It’s important to consider these factors before deciding to rent a car.
Is It Better To Rent A Car At Cancun Airport?
Yes, it’s generally better to rent a car at Cancun Airport. Many of the major car rental companies have offices at the airport, making it easy to pick up and drop off your rental car. Additionally, renting a car at the airport can be more affordable than renting from a downtown location.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that renting a car at the airport can also be more expensive due to
the convenience factor. You may also experience longer wait times and more crowded rental counters at the airport.
Bottom line: Renting a car at Cancun Airport is generally more convenient and can be more affordable, but it’s important to weigh the pros and cons and compare prices before making a decision.
The Cheapest Way to Rent A Car In Cancun
If you’re planning to rent a car in Cancun, here are some tips for finding the cheapest way to do so:
- Compare prices: Before booking a rental car, compare prices from different rental companies. Websites like Kayak, Expedia, and Rentalcars.com allow you to compare rates from multiple companies at once.
- Book in advance: Booking your rental car in advance can often save you money, as rates can be higher if you wait until the last minute.
- Consider off-airport locations: Renting a car at the Cancun airport can be more expensive due to additional fees. Consider renting from a location outside of the airport if possible.
- Use discount codes: Check for discount codes online, which can save you a percentage off the rental price. You can often find these codes on the rental car company’s website or through third-party websites.
- Avoid add-ons: Rental companies may try to upsell you on additional features like GPS or insurance. Consider whether you really need these extras before agreeing to them.
- Consider a smaller car: Renting a smaller car can save you money on both the rental price and gas expenses.
Bottom line: To find the cheapest way to rent a car in Cancun, compare prices, book in advance, consider off-airport locations, use discount codes, avoid add-ons, and consider renting a smaller car.
Rent A Car In Cancun
Here are some rental car companies to rent a car from in Cancun:
- Alamo: starts at $30 per day
- Avis: starts at $26 per day
- Budget: starts at $24 per day
- Enterprise: starts at $29 per day
- Hertz: starts at $30 per day
- Thrifty: starts at $22 per day
- Dollar: starts at $22 per day
Gas prices will also vary depending on where you fill up, but you can expect to spend around $45 for a full tank. This is based on an average of $3.00 per gallon, and a standard car that holds 15 gallons of gas. Keep in mind that gas prices may be higher in tourist areas, so it’s best to fill up at a gas station outside of the city if possible.
Tips For Driving In Cancun
If you decide to rent a car and drive in Cancun, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Drive defensively: While Cancun’s roads are generally well-maintained, drivers can be aggressive and unpredictable. Be prepared to drive defensively and stay alert at all times.
- Be cautious of speed bumps: Speed bumps, or “topes,” are common on Cancun’s roads, especially in residential areas. Watch for signs indicating their presence and slow down accordingly to avoid damaging your rental car.
- Watch for pedestrians and animals: Pedestrians, bicyclists, and animals may unexpectedly cross the road in Cancun, so keep an eye out for them and be prepared to stop.
- Use a map or GPS: While Cancun’s main roads are easy to navigate, side streets can be confusing. Use a map or GPS to avoid getting lost.
- Buckle up and follow traffic laws: Like in any other place, always wear your seatbelt, follow traffic laws, and obey speed limits to avoid getting pulled over or fined.
Bottom line: If you’re driving in Cancun, drive defensively, watch for speed bumps, pedestrians, and animals, use a map or GPS, and always follow traffic laws to ensure a safe and enjoyable driving experience.
Renting a car can provide you with the flexibility and freedom to explore your destination on your own schedule. However, it’s important to do your research, compare prices, and carefully consider the rental company’s terms and conditions before making a reservation. Additionally, be aware of potential additional fees and expenses, such as gas and insurance, and be sure to inspect the vehicle thoroughly before driving off the lot.